LIVE YOUR LIFE

Live as many as you can, as well as you can. You never know if it will be your last."

Monday, November 3, 2008

My Favorite Women in Music... Part Four of Six...

Here is Gwen Stefani of No Doubt and more recently as a solo artist. She is incredibly versatile and she is as fun to watch as she is great to listen to.
.
.
.
Here is Shirley Manson and she is best known as the voice of Garbage. Garbage is currently on hiatus and she is pursuing a solo career. I usually do not like dark themes running through music but she pulls it off, both in song writing and in her performance.
.
.
.
Sheryl Crow is probably best known as a Rock and Roll and/or Pop artist but I put her on my list because of her ability to blend a 'Folk-like' and 'Blues-like' sound into her music. Case in point... when covers the Guns N' Roses' hit, Sweet Child of Mine, her interpretation is done with a unique, almost mercurial nature.
.
.
.
Tori Amos. When I was exposed to her music I immediately connected her music to the piano, kind of like you would do the same with Elton John and the piano. She sounds like she is living in her music as she sings.
.
.
.
Jewel. I like this picture because it shows her naturally attractive look. (before she went through so much plastic surgery.) It is Jewel's simple, melodic album Pieces of You that I enjoy most of all. It was recorded on Neil Young's ranch and has that distinct Harvest Moon sound (which he had also recorded there) that is heard running throughout.





Karen O… maybe the same O as in OMG! Maps was fun to play on Rock Band… and Karen O’s dreamy, magical and ethereal voice had me searching for more. She fronts the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and does solo work as well, including the entire Where The Wild Things Are soundtrack. If you haven’t seen the music video for Maps I have included it below. Very Powerful.